Wednesday, September 3, 2008

From this traincar of life...

I once asked a banana bread of a friend to define the Christian journey in a sentence, and she analyzed it, as only she can, as a train. You're going from one car to the next; the valley, the mountain, the shadow, the sunshine...it's always a progression of yet another season.
These are simply some floating thoughts I penned the other day in the quiet under a tree, after reading some convicting thoughts from Brennan Manning, and based on the traincar I'd found myself on about a month ago. Because I'm single, I'd made particular single thoughts, but they're just from a young woman's heart--you may relate with your present traincar. :-)

I look around this world I live in. I feel so sorry for it.
I wish I could dig your tunnels--for there is greater depth in the things of this life.
I pity you, world. But with a good pity. Whole-heartedly, I wish so much more for you!

There are so many expectations from the world for a woman of my age and status. Single. Stagnant. With so much potiential, just no smarts to desire it. I don't get irritated. I choose to smile now, as I didn't before. A woman of any status or season doesn't find her validity in persons or prosperity or abilities. My validity is found in Jesus Christ. One who carried the example of real, valid and abundant life: A Cross.

I, as a carnal creature, forget what discipleship, baptism, "dying-to-self", and "crucified with Christ" means in vivid reality. So I'm easily hurt and confused when people don't see me, when others don't have favorable opinions of me, when I can't do something "well", or I can't find acceptence, or satisfaction of myself.
Discipleship means training. It means I mimick, until it's second nature, my Savior's example.
Baptism means I have died to the flesh. I no longer desire validity from man, from others, or from my own "can do's". I die with Jesus and I'm raised with Jesus. Sharing in suffering. Sharing in glory. No longer is it about what I get out of this vapor of life--it's about Him. About where HE is, what He desires, and everything else fades to darkness.
My Father doesn't love me for the good I can do; He loves me because He is good.

In this I cling to and rest.
I am who You're making me to be.
We wait patiently on your Potter's wheel.
July 25, 2008

3 comments:

LeAnna said...

"A woman of any status or season doesn't find her validity in persons or prosperity or abilities. My validity is found in Jesus Christ. One who carried the example of real, valid and abundant life: A Cross."

I love that! It's true, and singleness isn't the only phase of life in which one can feel stagnant. When you get married, become a wife, and a mother- you face a whole new gorge of that same ol' pond water. And you have to remind yourself yet again that your validity is found in Christ!

I so enjoyed your thoughts, and I appreciated our convo today. I needed that.
Love ya,
LeAnna

Bekah Leanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bekah Leanne said...

"Discipleship means training. It means I mimick, until it's second nature, my Savior's example."

That's so true. I think that it's easy to fall into the lie that as soon as you become a Christian, or as soon as you ask God for some added personality trait, He'll simply give it to you. Suddenly, out of the blue, we'll just become more holy, more kind, more loving. But in fact, it's just like trying to be like anyone else.
If I want to suddenly become the embodiment of my own dad, I should probably start learning to play the guitar. If I want to be like my Grandpa Brewer, I need to go to medical school. It would be a long process of learning how to think and act like that person, and it's the exact same way with God. If we want to be like Him, it's the matter of having the motivation and self-discipline to mimic His actions!
A very good point my dear cousin, and one that I hadn't really considered in that way before.