Friday, April 18, 2008

After the earthquake, she dons her painting palette...

Paint this picture with me:

NAHUM 1:3-8
"His way is in the whirlwind and the storm,
And clouds are the dust of his feet.
He rebukes the sea and dries it up;
He makes all the rivers run dry.
Bashan and Carmel wither
And the blossoms of Lebannon fade.
The mountains quake before him and the hills melt away.
The earth trembles at his presence,
The world and all who live in it.
Who can withstand his indignation?
Who can endure his fierce anger?
His wrath is poured out like fire; the rocks are shattered before him..."

Then it goes on to say...

"...the Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble.
He cares for those tho trust in Him..."

At 4:00 this morning, I painted this picture:
A Prince of power--in his hand is a silver sword, and in his hands it is strong and capable of terrors. Any ememy is dashed to the ground, and anything could be smitten by the snap of his fingers. In his shadow, I am weak and uncapable. I have no control over my own life, or death.
But this Prince loves me...and because of that love, I am safe in the presence of his sword. Because of love, I am not threatened, but protected by that sword. And the terrors of it never even cross my mind.

We were waken up by a 5.2 earthquake somewhere between 3:00-4:00 last night. I've never felt one before, and for my first one it was quite an experience. The house just quaked, the earth roared, and I was just waiting for things to fall off the shelves and walls. I have to say in my sleepy stupor, my very first thought was to look out the window for the sky splitting and the sound of trumpets! But they never came...but neither did quaking fear. I was surprised! We got the kids back to bed and laid down for a couple more hours of sleep, and small aftermath tremors. Though sleep didn't come easy for any of us! :-) I laid there and was thinking about that above "picture", and what Nahum shared (I read this just last week!). The earth trembles, melts, moves, simply in it's Creator's presence. Believe me, when you're laying in bed and the very earth beneath your feet begins to quake...you have NO CONTROL. You're cast upon the mercy of the Creator.
But you know, the earthquake is one of many elements that make up His sword, His footstool. And if a worldly Prince of power (meaning combat ability!) can love his lady with a love that uses what could crush her to protect her...isn't God Almighty, the epitome of LOVE, not greater than he? And even should I be slain by an earthquake, can I cast myself into the trust of that love? A thrilling description of pure, undefiled faith!

I'm enthralled, my friend. Just entralled by the display of His power. I just experienced another tremor, amazingly---I wish I could box this feeling and give it to you!
Just thought I'd take a moment and share the news of So. IL! And the things the Lord has brought to mind, and heart, through it. :-) May you feel the power of the God you serve, beloved, and the love that loves you with that power.

2 comments:

Sara said...

That is pretty crazy! Phelisha texted me earlier about it. I think I would have been terrified. I think you'd definitely feeling His power.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! That is so wild! I would have been checkin' the eastern sky too! :)