Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tuesday Musings & Praises...

Good afternoon, friend...how is your Tuesday so far? I thought mine would be harder than it's been; here's a praise the Lord #1. :-) Praise the Lord #2 is we've been able to turn the AC off today because there's a cool breeze--and I stop to thank Him for it, cause we don't ever get this at this time in the year--and I know of lots of people that would be thankful for it too! New Mexico? I'll say a prayer that He'll send you some, and some rain mixed in there too!
Praise the Lord #3, that I have a job. Even though I've got cabin fever from being in this office since 8 this morning, and a headache from staring at a computer and talking on the phone, I'm glad I have a paycheck. That's more than alot of people have to say right now--so I thank the Lord for this!
The awesome Word of God...praise the Lord #4. On January 31st of this year, I looked into a Bible Quest on HeartThoughts Retreat that started the very next day (Feb 1st). It was a quest to read the entire Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, in 90 days. It sounded really hard, especially since I'd never read the whole Bible, not even in a year's time let alone my lifetime. But it intrigued me, and I knew my friend Anna was planning to do it too--however, I had twenty-four hours to decide whether or not I'd commit to it with a handful of other young women. It would mean devoting 45 min/hour a day for approximately 16 chapters of the Bible everyday--weekends too. There was only a two day grace period in the whole three months for getting behind or skipping a day. I decided that I would do it, and even though I knew doing this would be important for me at that time, I prayed to be consistent. Very little did I know how thankful I would be that I did! December 2007 marks a time in my life I pray to never relive, and thinking about it still brings the pangs too near. However, I look back and see the grace of my Father ever with me, even if I didn't feel it as near then. But January was basically healing ground from December, and the Bible Quest came perfect timing. Everyday, I looked forward to that hour spent in the Word, and was able to find strength and healing and rest by so many truths, the faithfulness, the heart-and-soul, and the Voice of God. And all at such a crucial time that I needed to hear and know them.
Anna and I knew before we even finished that we'd like to do it again. Only this time, condensing from 16 chapters to 10, so that our busy moms could join in with us and have a better chance at getting through. :-) Our brothers (and my sister) decided to do it too, along with my Jen! It helps so much to do it with someone, to discuss and be accountable to stay caught up--but mostly to share the things the Lord has shown us throughout. We're only on Day 2, and at Genesis 20, so anyone is still welcome to join us if they'd like! It's very unorthodox, and there isn't a schedule...just ten chapters a day, depending on the schedule, and catching up whenever we can. :-)

David prayed, when his soul was yearning for the nearness of the Lord again:
"As the deer pants for the streams of water, so my soul pants for You, O God...why are you so downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him..." (Psalm 42) And again, "O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you...in a dry and weary land..." (Psalm 63)
But in both places, His soul is satisfied in praising the Lord. Abigail told me once that a simple "Thank you, Father" makes a difference. He inhabits the praises of His people--therefore we bring Him into our midst, into our dry and downcast soul, and we're satisfied when we praise Him. Why? To finish Psalm 63: "Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands [and] my soul will be satisfied..."

Be encouraged as you praise Him, beloved of God! His Love is sooo much better, so much greater, than life itself--for this, we praise Him.
Happy rest of your Tuesday...
Jen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post girl!

LeAnna said...

Cool, I didn't know you were doing it again, awesome! I need to join in. Soon I'll be jobless and I reckon I'll have plenty of time to read large quantities of the Bible in a day. :P Missing you, and hope to call ya soon!!
-LeAnna